Monday, April 23, 2012

Lemon Poppyseed Scones

I have officially redeemed myself from my last baking catastrophe!

Say hello to my first attempt at scones ever.


Why I have never made scones before, I do not know but I will be making them again for sure!!

The recipe I chose was very simple and the majority of the ingredients were things I had around the apartment. I made a few adjustments to the original recipe based on other bakers' suggestions.

To make these scones:

Mix flour, sugar, poppy seeds, baking powder, lemon peel and salt.


Add butter and cut into dry ingredients.


I find it easiest to blend the butter in using my hands (clean hands, of course!). I literally just rub the butter between my fingers and blend it into the flour until it resembles a coarse meal.


Next, whisk egg and lemon juice in a bowl and add to the flour mixture until moist clumps form.


Finally, add milk and stir until dough comes together.


Next, you gather the dough into a ball...


And smoosh it flat until it's an 8" round.


Cut the round into 8-12 wedges. Place on a baking sheet, brush with milk and sprinkle with sugar.


Bake at 375F for 25 minutes.

Et voila!


Beautiful lemon poppyseed scones!!


And some...not so beautiful ones.


I actually have no idea why some of them fell lopsided in the oven but they still tasted good.

Fingers crossed that this will turn into a good baking streak for me :).


Lemon Poppyseed Scones (modified from epicurious.com)
  • 3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup + 1 tbsp sugar
  • 3 tbsp poppy seeds
  • 1 tbsp baking powder
  • 4 tsp grated lemon peel
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1/2 cup + 2 tbsp butter
  • 1 egg
  • 4 tbsp lemon juice (or juice of 1 lemon)
  • 1/3 cup whole milk
Preheat oven to 375F. Mix flour, 1 cup sugar, poppy seeds, baking powder, lemon peel and salt in a large bowl. Add butter to the flour and cut in until it resembles coarse meal. Whisk egg and lemon juice in a medium bowl and add to flour mixture. Mix until moist clumps form. Add 1/3 milk and mix until dough comes together. You may need to add more milk if dough seems dry (I added a few extra tablespoons).

With floured hands, gather the dough into a ball and flatten into an 8" round. Cut into 8-12 wedges. Move scones to a large baking sheet. Brush with milk and sprinkle the remaining 1 tbsp sugar on top.

Bake until golden brown, about 23-25 minutes.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Scones and biscuits fall over in the oven when you don't cut the dough straight down- happened to me one time when I made biscuits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Noooo...But I swear I cut them down straight! I will try to be extra-attentive to my cutting technique next time I make them. Thanks for the tip :).

      Delete