Monday, May 14, 2012

A Cupcakey Day!

I love cupcakes. There is actually nothing that I love to make more than cupcakes. They're just so darn cute! It's like a baby cake but I find you can be far more creative when decorating them!

There were 2 occasions that gave me a great excuse to bake today - the very last CBL (cased based learning) of Med 2/ life *fingers crossed* and my roomie's bday! I used the same base vanilla cupcake recipe but chose 2 different themes:

Sesame Street!


Owls!!


These were fairly easy to assemble. I cheated on the icing and resorted to Betty Crocker french vanilla frosting. Other materials I used were:

Large marshmallows (for the eyes)
Chocolate chips (for the eyes of the sesame street characters)
Reeses pieces (for the owl eyes/nose and Elmo's nose)
Food colouring (red, green, blue)
Sprinkles (red and blue...just because I already had them in the pantry)
1 package of Oreos
1 package of Chips Ahoy cookies

And voila! The assembly line!


These were as easy as
1. Frost
2. Dip in Sprinkles
3. Decorate (using extra frosting as 'glue')


For the cookie monster I ended up having to cut a hole for the mouth so that the cookie would actually stay. It was a bit of a disaster before :S.


Cookie nice and secured!


The green guy is supposed to be Oscar the Grouch but I had nothing to make angry eyebrows with. He looks a bit like Kermit the frog as a result. I also decided to give the cookie monster googley eyes for fun! The original idea was taking from this blog.


The owl cupakes were a must for my roomie's bday as it's one of her favourite animals! I was inspired by this blog.


You can use regular chocolate frosting but what I ended up doing was combining all the leftover coloured frosting from the Sesame Street cupcakes and adding cocoa and milk to it until it was the desired colour/consistency.


I'd say the most difficult part of the whole process was actually chopping the oreos in half for the owl ears and Elmo/Oscar's mouths without them breaking. I don't really have any tips for this except that sawing them with a serrated knife didn't work so well. The crossing fingers and praying the cookies wouldn't break into a dozen pieces method seemed to work in the end :P.



Whoooooooo's craving a cuppie cake?!

No comments:

Post a Comment